idleness vs job
The latest addition to my “to-read” list: How to Be Idle. Although a better choice would probably be something to the effect of “How Not to Be Idle,” since I’m already quite familiar with the ins and outs of being idle and am currently in need of motivation in the opposite direction in preparation to enter the gruesome world of jobs:
With a very few exceptions the world of jobs is characterized by stifling boredom, grinding tedium, poverty, petty jealousies, sexual harassment, loneliness, deranged co-workers, bullying bosses, seething resentment, illness, exploitation, stress, helplessness, hellish commutes, humiliation, depression, appalling ethics, physical fatigue and mental exhaustion (The Idler).
I admit, I’m enjoying the luxuries of partial idleness (“partial” since my duties as a research assistant quantify a job of some form, though I don’t think I’ve set an alarm clock all summer), and I'm not particularly looking forward to getting a job, but not all of us can afford to do nothing forever. And besides partial idleness is only partially enjoyable and once classes start again, idleness gets traded in for procrastination, which is not nearly as agreeable.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home