haphazard post and invitation to the un-party
I’m not much of a party person. Never was. I don’t like yelling over loud music, being surrounded by slobbering drunks, enduring meaningless conversations with scores of random people (though standing aside and observing the dynamics of other people’s meaningless conversations could be fun), staying up until the wee hours of the morning waiting for something interesting to happen, etc. I’ve been to a fair share of parties, and a relatively diverse sample: frat parties my freshman year, a drunken Purim party at the Un-Chabad House in Pikesville, standard Chabad House parties, my freshman year roommate’s bachelorette party, the housewarming party of a Harvard Medical student, too many Crown Height’s weddings, my upstairs neighbor’s Halloween party, Lee and Heather’s annual “pool party” in San Diego, Hillel parties, jamming with Matisyahu parties, Eric’s parties in his Brooklyn Height’s loft, a “Farbrengen” in New Orleans, cocktails with potential employer parties, Super Bowl parties, dorm Beirut parties, etc. etc. Some were not half bad, but most were boring, loud, and largely a waste of time, but in retrospect, provided valuable memories.
But my family is off next week, leaving me to the house all to myself*, and I am feeling the need to do something grossly out of character. Alas I am proposing to host an un-party this July 3rd (a Monday night). I not only got parental approval, but my mother said it’s not a bad idea. It will likely be a pathetic attempt at pretending to hold a sophisticated and intellectual cocktail party of sorts, but at the very least I’ll get to spend time with half my friends, and better yet, get them to bring people as well. I’m going to try and recruit my friend who knows how to mix drinks to be the bartender (otherwise, I’ll have some new reading material for the subway next week), hopefully I can get a few of my Hopkins friends to show, and maybe my Harvard law student friend who is NYC for the summer,I still have to come up with a theme…(suggestions are welcome).
If you’re reading this, you’re invited. Even if you’re married. And yes, BPS you can bring your baby.
The rules are as such:
If I know you, you have to bring along someone I don’t know to keep things interesting.
If you’re reading this blog, and I don’t know you, you’re welcome as well, but you have to come with an explanation as to why you read this nonsense.
We want to keep losers at a minimum, so if you’re a loser (or the person you want to bring along is a loser), make sure to pretend you’re not a loser for the duration of your stay.
21 or older, preferably 23 or older, and no older than 35.
I’ll supply drinks and some sort of appetizer but any contributions will be welcome.
*aside from my older brother, but we’ll invite him too
9 Comments:
sounds like fun ill try to find someone weird to bring with. otherwise ill be weird for two
Nice, I'm putting you down as my first RSVP. And I'm going to hold you to your word of being weird for two ;).
where is the party going to be
Fun!
First, hey! you broke my cover. Could somebody else please adopt a cute baby to bring for the night so it's not immediately obvious that I'm me?
Next: What's this, because you know us we're uninteresting? I thought you know us because we're interesting! Hmph.
thetreeforest1,
It’s in my house. But I should mention that contrary to how I might have made it sound, this is actually somewhat of an exclusive party (I didn’t think more than a few random people actually read my blog, and more so, didn’t think any of them would be interested in coming). But if you want to come and you don’t know me, either you have to come with someone who knows me, or you can email me with your real name, and I’ll have to first evaluate whether or not you’re sketchy before officially extending an invitation.
BPS,
Did you mean to write “you blew my cover”? (Sorry, I just had to…'Tis ironic, I’m the one who is supposed to make those sorts of slips, and you’re supposed to be correcting me).
I didn’t say you were uninteresting. Although, once people get married, they inevitably get less interesting. But you’re still interesting, though I’m not sure for how much longer (JK!).
Do I know you because you’re interesting, or are you interesting because I know you? Anyway, I didn’t mean to keep things interesting at the party per se, I’m sure even if just a few of my friends showed, things could stay interesting for long enough, I meant to keep things interesting in the general sense.
I am so impressed- sounds tres chic.
p.s. My better half has volunteered to be the bouncer.
21 or older, preferably 23 or older, and no older than 35
Interesting, at which end of the age tail you prefer to be...
you always did like to be the youngest at the party, didn't you? I guess being born at the end of December will do that to you...also, it's a always a good excuse for deficiencies, yes?
you always did like to be the youngest at the party, didn't you?
indeed. i prefer to be the youngest in general (not just at parties), but as i age, it's becoming more difficult to achieve. i'm not even the youngest at work. there's a 2005 graduate (though it's possible that i'm younger than him), and a few interns.
also, it's a always a good excuse for deficiencies, yes?
that and so much more. i tend to find older people more interesting, which is why towards the end of college, i was ready to move on, since most of my friends had long graduated. gosh, i suddenly feel old! why'd you have to point that out? i'm not sure how much longer being the youngest will actually be an excuse for deficiencies, since it's more about being "young" than "younger." well, hell, at least i look young. the saks woman doing my makeup guessed 17.
Post a Comment
<< Home