Friday, June 16, 2006

so sick of school, yet I'm really beginning to miss it

Earlier this year, I wrote about being tired of being challenged, being an overachiever, and feeling incompetent, and I remember telling people that I can't wait to get a job some place where I could do work that involves minimum effort and where I could feel like I'm on par with or smarter than most of the people around me. It seems that I got just what I wanted, and thus, I decided I need to enjoy my work, at least for a while, and then in a year or so, when I might want to apply to go back to school, I can take the liberty to hate working, so that if and when I start school again, I'll know why I'm there. So for the first time this week, I'm enjoying my day at work. Although it might have something to do with the very sunny weather, the fact that I'm wearing a skirt that hasn't fit me well in years (though I'm not a fan of starving, and would never intentionally subject myself to it, it has some nice benefits), I'm finally adjusting to the timing (got enough sleep last night), I discovered that my office observes casual Fridays, I brought enough food today (not starving), comparing drawings can be kind of fun, editing a inspection report is not too bad either, and probably most importantly, my current supervisor is out inspecting a bridge and thus I don't have worry about him showing up in my cubicle and catch me reading the NYtimes, write blog entries, open an ING account, check my email, etc. (and I finished the work he assigned to me yesterday hours ago leaving me plenty of time to read the NYtimes, write blog entries, open an ING account, check my email, etc.).

I also started enjoying my commute. Only yesterday I scoffed at a co-worker who suggested that the commute from Brooklyn provides a good opportunity to read, telling him that I could read at home. But now I'm almost beginning to feel grateful for the commute and might actually miss it if I move to the city, since I really would not read at home during the week (similarly, I think I'm going to miss the zoo I live in at the moment, for one thing it's kind of nice not to have to worry about grocery shopping, laundry, or cleaning, but more importantly, I'm really going to miss having my annoying family to come home to…). I'm already on my third book (The Genius Factory), and though I don't feel like my brain is rotting away at work yet, I predict the tasks will become really repetitive and brain numbing really soon, and thus my commute reading may provide the sole somewhat stimulating activity of the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home