in a fog
Central Park this afternoon: the fog was so dense that the skyscrapers vanished into the mist, and there was me, the water, the trees, the ducks, the birds, and if not for the hundreds of other people in the park, I might have forgotten that I was in the city...
5 Comments:
Beautiful post!
Reminded me that there's another way to look at what I thought was just another dreary day.
Thank you.
:).
When I first started at MIT, met this guy who graduated some years before, and had since moved to Berkeley, CA. Having recently moved to the Boston area, I was noticing how people there chronically complain about the weather, so the first thing I thought to ask him was how he's enjoying the relatively mild weather out west. His response: he actually really missed the four seasons...Made me realize that varying weather is something to appreciate. And besides fog is great for running.
Absolutely. I was talking to somebody about my ideal place to be, and I was saying that though I love the sea, I never would want to live there. I prefer a lakeside environment.
And she said, yes, I also like the sea. But it's nice to come home to the changing of the seasons.
That made me realize that that's the exact difference between the coast and inland lakes. The coast is beautiful, but always, always the same. And at the lake, the trees are bare and sparkle-studded in the winter, blooming in spring, lush in summer, aflame in fall.
The air is alternatively bracing, balmy, hot, or spirited.
Yes, there are some tough days. But embracing the change makes it all worth it.
And so, here I am, enjoying our New York winter--although, to be honest, it's not quite the change it used to be
But wait, NYC is on the coast...
I also learned to appreciate rainy days so long as it's not TOO cold. I actually find it more enjoyable to go running when it is raining lightly. But now that this freezing cold weather is upon us, I'm off to Miami [smile]
Post a Comment
<< Home