Thursday, September 06, 2007

Oh, la la la, de de da

Experiencing the frustration associated with forced procrastination: I'm at work, thinking, I should really be doing some useful work in attempt to secure a job here, but try as I may, I can't come up with any concrete task that would yield any form of presentable results. While I could think of lots of productive ways to spend this "free" time, given that my computer screen is visible to all passerbyers, and more importantly, that I'm confined to a cubicle, my options are severely limited. That is, I can't vacuum my apartment, go for a run, look for a job, call the bank, or even research graduate study in biomechanics...Instead, I search for and skim random papers that are sort of related to what I'm supposed to be working on, I run my Matlab code over and over, pretending I'm accomplishing something, while I'm only making minor adjustments that make my graphs prettier, take frequent breaks to the NYtimes, my email, the great outdoors, all the while looking over my shoulder to check if my "taskmaster" has yet emerged from wherever it is he's hiding so I can move on....

In my state of boredom I find myself getting increasingly anxious about being unemployed again, continually romanticizing the prospect of going back to school, having day-mares of (returning to) London, fantasying about magically attaining financial independence, making too much of the news that one of my photos has been short-listed for inclusion in the third edition of Schmap Boston Guide, very much looking forward to the weekend, and wondering why even though I haven't been to NY in over 5 months, and I would like to see my family and friends, I'm not terribly eager to make the trip all the way over there anytime soon...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home