Saturday, May 06, 2006

the agonizing combination of anxiety and boredom

Conversation with a friend this afternoon:

Me: I just want to go to sleep and wake up and find my thesis finished…
Z: Why don’t you just drug yourself? [he’s doing his residency in psychiatry, go figure]
Me: How would I be able to get any work done while drugged?
Z: Well you could take alcohol in small doses, you know, just enough to give you a slight buzz, but at the same time make you mellow enough to get the stress off your mind.
Me: Would that really work? Have you tried this?
Z: [Smugly] I’ve done it a few times, good bottle of wine usually does the trick…

4 Comments:

Blogger Miriam said...

Good Lord. Not all psychiatrists are like that...

7/5/06 08:33  
Blogger Goldie said...

Haha. Of course they are. Well many of them anyway, otherwise how would you explain why prozac and ritalin and ambien, etc are so over-prescribed in this country? But anyway, he wasn't giving advice from a psychiatric perspective...

7/5/06 08:59  
Blogger Mariposa said...

I don't like smug -- especially when it comes to getting work done. My last fluids final is on Thursday. I'm so sad. Never to take a fluids class again - I can't bear it. I've only taken 5.

I want a copy of your thesis btw.

8/5/06 05:26  
Blogger Goldie said...

Never to take a fluids class again - I can't bear it.

You could always go for the PhD ;)

I don't think I ever want to take another class period.

8/5/06 19:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home