is that all it takes?
Today's Hayom Yom:
My grandfather said: A Jewish groan which, G-d forbid, arises from physical misfortune, is also a great teshuva; how much more so then, is a groan arising from spiritual distress a lofty and effective teshuva. The groan pulls him out of the depths of evil and places him on a firm footing in the realm of good.
5 Comments:
It can't just be a manufactured groan...it's got to be genuine, arising from spiritual distress. Obviously then it shows you care about your spiritual situation, thereby putting you along the path to goodness.
MK
No doubt it has to be genuine groan, but I'm not so sure caring about your spiritual situation will necessarily put you on the path to goodness...
the start to fixing a problem is knowing that you have a problem.
The caring itself is good. And I could throw around a few other cliched thoughts.
MK
Sure I know the cliches, all I was saying was that a groan seemed an easy way to get pulled out of the depths of evil and placed on a firm footing in the realm of good. Almost easier than going to confessional.
HEY, I’m still religious. Ask Chumy, she’ll tell you. Being shomer shabbos and kashrus makes me frummer than half of Crown Heights. And I get extra points for my red string and groans.
I don’t do Hayom Yom, I just happen to be on chabad.org that day for another good cause, and knowing it was gimmel tamuz, the Hayom Yom link was calling out to me. But maybe I should start making a habit of it, ‘twas interesting…
Post a Comment
<< Home