Friday, December 30, 2005

"Age is a matter of mind; if you don't mind it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

If my life were a film, I feel like this should be the part when “5 years later” is printed on the screen, when my appearance is pretty much the same as in the previous scene except a variation of hair-style (or the like), while everything around me has been altered in some way. That is, I feel like my life has fast-forwarded five years without my really experiencing it. I don’t feel even remotely close to being 23 years old; my four years in college seemed to have all merged together into one big conglomerate of studying, homework, finals, professors, long contemplative bus rides home, etc.; I blink and suddenly the majority of my friends are married; one day I’m hoping to pursue a PhD in mechanical engineering, the next, I’m wondering whether I’m interested enough in engineering to even complete my masters…

...but oh, what if I do mind?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shall I rephrase?

Happy Birthday!

How can you possibly think that you haven't experienced life these past five years? Have you completely forgotten where you were when you graduated high school? Look at how far you've come. I daresay you've experienced more change than your friends and the rest of your world.

Yes, age is a matter of mind, and it does matter, because look where your mind, given the time, has brought you!

31/12/05 20:06  
Blogger Goldie said...

Thanks. Appreciate your kind words, but I have my doubts as to their truth. Regardless, I should have prefaced my post by saying that for the last few years, on the day of my birth, I am prone to surrendering to a state of melancholy*, and I’m bound to overstate the tragedy of my life ;-). And maybe I was unclear. It's not that I really feel as if nothing happened in the last 5 years, but that reflecting on the last five years, it almost seems like I was just going “through the motions” most of the time. Or that I felt like I lacked purpose. But that wasn’t really the case. I think I was just transposing my feelings at that moment on Friday on my past. Throughout most of my time in college, I was acting on some driving force, and I did experience more than a few significant moments. And last year, a whole slew of things forced me to face the fact that I have entered the “adult world” despite my attempt to avoid it by extending my time as a student. But one of the things that motivated my words was the discovery that college seems almost as nearly as far in the past as high school. And I don’t really feel like I necessarily am close to where I’d like to be, and one of the greatest barriers preventing me from reaching that place is that I’m not sure where it is…

Alright, I’d better stop delving into this nonsense. My 23rd birthday has passed, and it’s time I recovered from its blow. And although turning 23 is horribly unexciting, I can think of one significant thing about the age 23: it’s the first pair of consecutive numbers since age 12.

*I am most grateful to all those who wished me happy birthday on my birthday, and thus jolted me out of my unsatisfactory disposition.

1/1/06 07:32  
Blogger shoshana said...

well well, sorry this isn't on your birthday. still, happy happy birthday & a happy new year. .
at the very least, may it be better than the last.

1/1/06 08:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home