c’est la vie
I’ve been back for two days, and it already feels like I’ve been here forever, but thankfully not as though I never left. I had to remember the rules of maneuvering my way through a major commuter station in NYC: walk too fast, and you bump into people; walk too slow, and they bump in to you; avoid sharp turns, and instead merge with the crowd and then slowly divert; and by all means, don’t get lost in your daydreams or internal conflicts. I don’t want to be living in NY, yet I do. I don’t want to be living at home, but I don’t want to live anywhere else. I don’t want to move to the city, yet I am. I don’t want to be social, but I don’t want to be anti-social. I want to be comfortable, at ease, and I am, but I'm not. I don’t want to go to work, but I don’t have a choice. I don’t want to go back to school, yet I do. Yet I really do. I fantasize about going back to school, yet I dread it. I want to write, but it’s not my first priority. I want to be selfless, but the selfish gene is screaming out, “I want, I want, I want” (did I get this Bellow quote right?). “If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I?”
What am I?
4 Comments:
Excellent post.
Excellent enough for me to emerge from lurkhood and comment.
Thank you. And thanks for commenting. Even my friends who repeatedly chide me for neglecting to post in ages fail to comment. But you're hardly out of "lurkhood" if your posting as "anonymous."
worth the wait.
keep posting
lg
will try.
Post a Comment
<< Home