Tuesday, September 26, 2006

since posts in my head don’t count...

Or do they, BPS? (If imaginary emails count...)

Oddly, despite shaving off an hour from my daily commute by moving uptown, I seem to have less free time than ever. I like the new apartment: the location, having my own space again, but I miss living at home, I am not really taking advantage of the prime location yet, and I can’t seem to bring myself to completely unpack, since perhaps I can subconsciously delude myself into believing that so long as I don’t unpack, I can plan on the move as being very temporary, and I won’t need to settle in...

My job continues to provide a surplus of brain numbing work. So much so that last week, two taskmasters were fighting over my secretarial skills, which, while hardly flattering, is nice in a way, since it means I have a bit more flexibility in terms of choosing one brain numbing task over another, or more importantly, one taskmaster over a more annoying one. Though one of whom suggested I work overtime this week to help them both meet their deadlines (umm…no…I’m trying to cut down my hours, not work more…), while the other attempted to motivate me by in-not-so-many-words commending me on my secretarial skills. I couldn’t feeling a bit resentful: I spent six years in school to do this? I'm terribly bored. I'm forgetting all my math and engineering. My brain is rotting away. I can't understand why they are they wasting their money hiring engineers when they could pay a secretary for less than half the amount? Why'd they offer me a job if they don't need me? I could've found work elsewhere where my skills are actually needed...But on the bright side, at least I got to spend six years in school....

Though I plan to stick it out for a while (hoping it will get better?), I’ve taken to fantasizing about a career change. Having been recently unofficially crowned the family photographer and photo distributor of the east coast branch of my extended family, my mother suggested I set up a studio and become a photographer. On telling my grandmother that I averaged a book a week this summer, she urged me to write one of my own. And I decided that since I enjoy solving my own computer problems and like the idea of being of some direct use to others, I though I might like to be computer/software technical consultant. I took this last idea a bit farther by attempting to explore the ins and outs of such a position with a technical consultant I called the other day, but he wasn’t really being very responsive or informative (perhaps because “this call may be recorded for quality purposes…”), so the thought is on hold, though I may try and volunteer for the "computer coordinator" role (considered largely undesireable by the new employees it gets thrown at) at work to gain experience (and to get breaks from the secretarial work).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home