Monday, October 09, 2006

speculation

At some point last year I decided to shed my superstitious dispositions: I permanently removed the red string I had fastened to my wrist for over 6 years (no I don’t miss it), continued to eat the tip of my bananas (except if it was brown) even after hearing that some people don’t, sat at the corner of tables (though only after at least a little hesitation), etc. But after finding out yesterday that the mezuzah I had on my bedroom door during my two years in Cambridge was not kosher, I’m wondering if I can allow myself to be retroactively superstitious. In some ways, it would be extremely comforting be able to blame the most nightmarish two years of my life on a flawed mezuzah. But A) could I believe it? B) even if I could, should I? C) and would it actually qualify as superstitious? (or is simply part of Judaism?)

Either way, I don’t suppose it could hurt to feel hopeful for the coming year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home